Monday, June 18, 2012

You shall not surely die. Really? Dammit...

I talked with a friend today about eternal life. How many of you with chronic pain would like this? Please post to my blog. Assuming there are NONE of you, including myself, I will share another tidbit. My grandmother, who I never heard express pain, willed to die. God bless her generous soul. She who gave up life as she knew it to fulfill my grandfather's dream and open a school in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (now called CEA for short)...got tired of living. At about 100 years old, she had had enough. With only one living friend from her childhood, she decided to stop eating. My family couldn't let go, so she lingered a couple more years until, mercifully, she passed on. We all mourned her and celebrated her legacy, as it was a remarkable one.

Which of you would have been the devil to keep her alive without pain, and without friends? Let us say she had Pain With Joy? Which of you would have been such a bastard to keep her alive against her will, for either reason? 

And yet, let me ask you what you think of God. When Eve ate the forbidden tree, he knew that now all of us would love with pain and suffering. After all,  it was the Tree of Good and Evil. Since she already knew about good, what do you think came out of eating that tree?

Yes, you know it. Evil.

How blessed is it to live forever with evil? An eternal life of that would be pure misery. Would a God of love like that? Not really.

So who said you will never die? Hmmmm.

The Serpent.

The devil.

In a world of pain, death, temporary removal, is a blessing. Me, I rather agree with God. Only in a world made new, with no pain or suffering, would I ever want to live forever. I would never wish life as we know it eternally upon even my worst enemy.

I do look forward to a resurrection to a life without pain. In that world, eternal life is a blessing, not a curse. But the devil does not offer that. Only God does.

So the next time you judge the desire of a chronic-pain-filled or elderly person to live, think to yourself: am I wishing them a blessing or a curse?

"He sleeps." said Jesus about Lazarus.

I will wish that also, when the pain is too much. Only with a painfree world do I want to live forever...just like my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment