Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Snake-oil Salesmen: Getting the Oil Without the Snake

Being sick makes you a target. But you don't need to be sick. You can just be alive and you will be a target for somebody's agenda.

One of the most challenging tasks, sick or well, is graciously extracting yourself from the suffocation of the snake-oil salesman. Whether they mean well or not, they want to get you to buy something from them. And usually it involves a lot of persuasion. (Because, really, they love the act of persuasion even more than the sale.) Their product may be awesome too, like Melaleuca, which I use daily. Since you don't want to lose out on a good thing, how do you transition away from being a target?

Easy. Remove their ability to persuade.

I learned this snake-extraction secret just the other day. A friend at a conference I attended suggested she knew a guy that had a great product, grape-seed extract from Pycnoginol. She said HE said it worked wonders for people with FMS. But, she warned me, he likes to talk. Great, I said, I will try it. But I'm not talking to him.

I never did. He e-mailed me a long e-mail about how he HAD to talk to me on the phone. Sent me a letter. Pictures. Lots of info. NOTHING about the product.

Long story short, he never sent me a thing. I never got a brochure, price list, anything. And I was 100% prepared to try his product! He was more interested in telling me about it, than actually selling it.

In general, my motto when dealing with snake-oil salesmen is, "Sure, I will try it. Just send me the info. Goodbye." Then I'm on my way. Other people's experiences with a product are not mine, never will be, and I really only need to know if it works for ME, that's it.

So how did I get the oil after losing the snake? Easy. Melaleuca also offers a grape-seed oil product called Provex. It was in the mail to me the next day. Slither-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment